Sunday, March 20, 2016

Good Card, Bad Card #88

Location: Home

Pic: Heavyweight Champ Nick Yankovec taunting me with Dr. Who buttslamming Captain America.

"Criticism is futile it puts the person on the defensive and usually makes him strive to justify himself. Criticism is dangerous, because it wounds a person's precious pride, hurts his sense of importance, and arouses resentment." -Dale Carnegie

I still hold firm to everything I've said, and feel towards the Continuing Committee and the trek community, my fellow nerds. Problem is, I've been going about my business the wrong way. All I do is criticize. On the boards, on The Discard Pile, right here in GCBC. I do it because I'm a nerd and that's what we do, bitch about meaningless stuff. But my main goal is to influence change. There's only two ways to do that: make people want to change by them liking you, or "hold a gun to their head". I did the latter plenty during the Great Nerd War of '15. But those tactics don't get lasting change and you run the risk of burning the whole thing to the ground. Now let's be real, I'm not good at making friends. Sure, I have plenty out there. I've been traveling around the Lower 48 the last 6 months in the #whiteknight stopping from time to time visiting them. It makes my job easier, it keeps me from going Bibbles. I'm lucky to have them. I also have plenty of people out there who harbor great resentment towards me. And it turns out it's completely justified. All I do is criticize their decisions I disagree with and never acknowledge the good work they do. I earned every friend and every enemy. Now I'm reaping what I've sowed. To his credit, Charlie, Mr. Chairman, has swallowed that resentment and keeps me around. But it's very frustrating to be sitting in CC meetings (well attended this time by the way, it's good to see the new hires showing spirit. One time I was the only guy to show up to a meeting) and listen to the Chairman saying he's willing to wait two months to simply talk to a guy whether making a decision on a CC position. While the guy who shows up to meetings, pitching ideas is prefaced with warnings like "We're not making an decisions today." ,"This is only an idea." all because he isn't likable. It's a tough spot to be in. I don't have to energy or ability to make friends anymore. I'm too old for that stuff. It requires a degree of fakeness I've never possessed. I think Pride is foolish and I can't stomach people's perceived sense of importance. But I can tone down my criticism. Is that enough? Probably not.

Since I'm still paranoid of duplicated old GCBCs, I'll pick two from the 20th anniversary collection.

Good Card: Varon-T Disruptor

Why: It's a Corbett Original, that's why! What an asshole I am. Actually, some people don't like the card because it doesn't fit Story Mode. They don't like the New Bajor "shoot you in the face deck" (combined with Stone of Gol), but Stone of Gol has no business in there either. Gameplay-wise, it's a success. Combat decks have never really had their day in the sun. Old school Klingon was decent, Dominion Jem'Hadar never was good enough. Plenty of Engagement decks that work, blowing up ships is relatively easy combined with the right dilemma pile. So Story Mode is going to have to take a backseat to fun. That Bajoran deck is fun to play, and that's what the game desperately needs more of right now.

Bad Card: Split Second

Why: Fuck, fuck, fuck. Another missed opportunity. For the love of Kahless, take the last sentence off. Prevent & Overcome doesn't deserve and quarter, it needs to be hunted down and destroyed like a terrorist who kills little girls for going to school. Excessive? The metaphor, yes. The idea, no. And if you're going to ruin such a good card with that terrible stipulation, at least don't make me spend 2 for it. You want me to pay for something that might only last two turns, and might go away when I solve a mission? Fuck, change it to 'when an opponent solve a mission' and it's maybe, maybe, maybe usable. Each card in the XX Anniversary set was supposed to resemble a previous 2E set. Varon-T was Necessary Evil. I like to think I accomplished that goal. Split Second was Fractured Time. In which case, maybe it's a success. I hate it like every card in that terrible expansion (Sorry Med Teams, we're still cool).

No comments: