Saturday, March 09, 2013

Ruling New Jersey- Volume 2, Issue 8



When he comes knocking, I invite Death into my house. Just like any other guest I welcome him, feed him, drink with him, give him anything he needs. We share good times, bad time, and we laugh a bit. He takes what he needs then he goes on his way. He will always come back. That's just how it is.

Much like with other things, I have a different take on death. My mother had a brain aneurysm two weeks ago this morning. The damage was simply too much, and that was that. Brain death is a messy affair. The whole process took three days. An eternity of sleepless nights and endless cups of coffee. Then very early Tuesday morning I got a call. Due to her cancer years back they wouldn't be able to use any of her organs and it was time to take her off support. So I went to the hospital. I knew it was just her body, but I felt like it was a duty for some reason. I had to be there to send her off. Her breathing slowed, then stopped. I kissed her on her forehead and pulled the sheet over her. I would do the same for anyone else I cared for. No living creature should ever die alone.

I compiled this list awhile back, and was obviously sidetracked. It's a list of cards that I have in my binder x6. Cards that you end up having three of in multiple decks. Some are obvious, some were a surprise and some were depressing.

Personal Duty- The dilemma dominated for so long, and is still strong today.

Timescape- I still have a the personal rule that every dilemma pile (minus Legacy) should have two copies of this dilemma.

Gomtuu Shock Wave- Very sad. I wish it didn't have to be this way.

Secret Identity- Before Caretaker's "Guest's" and Oracle, this was the only meta control card for "heroes". Kirk, Living Legend saw an insane amount of play in our area back in the day.

The Dreamer and the Dream- Personal Rule #2: every pile should contain at least one of this dilemma.

Whisper in the Dark- I was surprise to see six. I only have three Tsiolkovsky Infections in there.

Hard Time- Before you could get whacked for playing non-skill dilemmas, Hard Time x3 was mandatory in every pile.

Necessary Execution- When this card hit the scene it was very popular. Still a great set-up card. Every now and then somebody gets cute, thinks people stopped playing this card and attempts planet first... Whack! Then somewhere Neil Timmons yells, "YOU DON'T GO PLANET FIRST!!!" It's been known to happen.

Excalbian Drama- Yeah, like Gomtuu, I hate myself for this. But what can you do, this dumb dilemma is absurd for zero cost.

Moral Choice- If you're not playing Fed there's a good chance you have one or two in your dilemma pile.

The Oracle's Punishment- This one just might be me, but I run this dilemma all the time now. Skill tracking/Hero stopping, this dilemma does a lot of things. Like a BMW, it's a product of fine German engineering.

Bat'leth- I have 3 copies of Kressari Rendezvous in my binder too. That means at one point 6 or 7 years ago I had two decks doing that nonsense. I am ashamed of myself.

Escape- People loved Tragic Turn. Some people still do...

Grav-Plating Trap- I only have five now because I traded one to a Boston jobber. Because I'm a saint goddammit!

Point Blank Strike/Provoke Attack- They're uncommon, and I only owned five Provoked at one point. For some reason they're tough to acquire. So is Brutal Struggle for some reason. Something about those elusive Premier uncommons.

Unexpected Difficulties- This is The Champ. There's 10 in my binder. Pound-for-pound the best card in 2E.

Stir Crazy- Ahh, where dilemma choke began. We used this card a lot in the early days. It's time to bring sexy back.

Party Atmosphere- The days when this event was non-unique were stupid.

Optimism- I find myself uses this card often lately. Curious, since I rarely did before. And if you use it, you're going to use three of them.

These are the Voyages/Lwaxanna Troi- Cheap drawing/cycling hurt 2E more then  people realize. Many bad decks could be, and still are, sustained because of this.

Alvera Tree Ritual- It's an auto-include in 95% of decks.

Surprise Party- Also an auto-include, but a bad one.

Davies- That's dude is so high.....

Jerax- That dude is angry...

Kolos- That dude is big pimpin'...



No comments: